communication is essential to business making and it involves more than the ability to name your product, write a tag line or a press release. It's an intricate, rational and scalable effort and, let's face it, not anyone can do it.

5/03/2008

Is business the new entertainment

I spent the past 6 days lounging about my parents' flat in a small town in Hunedoara and interacting as little as possible with the Internet. This has given me a chance to watch the same things my mom and dad do, and also check out what their friends and people not living in Bucharest are interested in. Next I spent some time with a friend from Timisoara and talked about what is interesting there.

Now, as I read an article about business TV formats and the struggle to get ratings I look back and wonder if we, the people who care about such info, and they live in different worlds.

Most of the people I spoke with had no clue about most of the business publications in Bucharest/Romania. Nor were they watching the Money Channel or, for that matter, Realitatea TV because, they said, it was mostly about stuff that was happening in the capital city.

I also checked to see what the regional distribution of business titles is and found that, for the most, they tend to be restricted to the capital and and five other major cities.

This made me wonder if, by any chance, we are building in Bucharest a mini-culture which feeds on itself and is unable to see beyond the borders of the city. Not so long ago Cotidianul - a national daily - featured a blog debate on it's second page, giving it a half page of text. Much like the advertising industry we seem to care about what happens here, who lives here, who makes money here. And this is not to say the estimated 5 million transiting daily the streets of Bucharest are irrelevant. It just means that we need to look beyond our circle of interests and that we might be missing out on some great opportunities in less crowded spaces.

No comments: