communication is essential to business making and it involves more than the ability to name your product, write a tag line or a press release. It's an intricate, rational and scalable effort and, let's face it, not anyone can do it.

1/13/2008

Popular availability for content

I had a pedestrian weekend with loads of family engagements and some fun on the side and two things stuck out.

One, I was speaking to a friend about interesting things we might be wanting to explore and I brought up gaming and game creators. I find games the coolest form of popular content, while not the easiest to make. I think that maybe game creators are the Balzacs of this generation and I was wondering if anyone in Romania would be interested in hearing about this. My friend told me no, it was too early. And yet, we have half the entire urban young population having at least had a brush with World of Warcraft, the Sims or other such games. Why not go to the next level and start interesting them with similar stuff which is done locally?

Two, I might have given myself the answer to the above while attending a local stand-up comedy show. I have never been to stand-up abroad and I may be mistaken in assuming this never happens there, but there were a bit too many people in that room unwilling to "play the game". This is what I mean: when you read literature or watch a movie or a theater play, something called suspension of disbelief should kick in. Fiction or entertainment for that matter is not fun if you question its actuality. You HAVE, for the sake of your own fun, to effectively pause and believe whatever they tell you - suspend your disbelief for the duration of the game.
In the stand-up I saw last night people chose to not do that: they chose to react to what the speakers were saying and insult them. Instead of running with the imagination and having a bit of fun they preferred to question and spoil it for everyone.

So, maybe our inability to perform a suspension of disbelief is what prevents us from enjoying stand-up, writing local games and for that matter making ads that go beyond mom telling daughter that she uses this or that detergent.

No comments: