communication is essential to business making and it involves more than the ability to name your product, write a tag line or a press release. It's an intricate, rational and scalable effort and, let's face it, not anyone can do it.

12/06/2007

tell me what you have on your desktop

and I'll tell you who you are.

Yesterday at Netcamp it struck me that there is a split second between FnF12 [or whatever you press to put your presentation on screen] when everyone sees your desktop wallpaper and that is something no one, ever, ever considers as a relevant detail.

But if you think about it, what is more relevant, a presentation you wrote specifically for that event - sort of a tactical move - or the image you like to open your computer to every fucking morning - sort of a branding thing?

One of the speakers talked about web 2.0. His desktop wallpaper was a stock photgraphy landscape of a misty woods. Like I have seen thousands. Only it was probably taken by himself cos its was not all that well framed... as evil as it may sound i felt like laughing. I also remembered a brand manager who opened her presentation with a peek at her baby daughter's naked bottom. The presentation was about banking online. And then I remember the names of the folders, of which sometimes you do get a glimpse. All those "pics from sweetie holiday" and "my honey buns" or "crap to finish up" or "in Paris".

I used to work with a guy who carefully selected all his background photos for each event and had only one folder on his desktop which said NOW. I kinda liked him :-)

No comments: