communication is essential to business making and it involves more than the ability to name your product, write a tag line or a press release. It's an intricate, rational and scalable effort and, let's face it, not anyone can do it.

3/29/2009

Web's prescience like tidal wave

The WWW never continues to amaze me (that is why a while back when someone made a joke about the inventor of WWW, I snapped back quite harshly). What I have been recurrently noticing is that the web KNOWS before you do what it is that you need it. Information travels in tidal waves both in scope and in effects, it meets your needs and expectations.
This is the story that got me thinking about this type of imagery. I was reading my regular feeds when I stumbled on a story about a book called Brain Rules. I though the book merited some attention, so I searched it on amazon to see if I could peek inside, online. The contents seemed rather interesting so I searched further, hoping for a more in-depth review or even some more hefty excerpts. My third search on google led me directly to a pdf downloadable version. Of course, I donwloaded it and am reading it as we speak. (yes, yes, I know I should have bought it...or rather, my former non-digitized self knows she should have bought it. and no, you do not get the link here... I know that much)
The thing is that with Internet information travels in waves and the closer the wave gets the deeper the information source gets. It's like a tidal wave which first presents itself as little circles of movement. Then the more people catch on, the bigger it gets and finally when you are engulfed in it chances are typing it into google will get you to the very core (in my case the contents of the book).
This can work very well for communicators.
What also stands out however is that, just like a tidal wave, once it retracts it is gone and all memory of it vanishes. Buzz is quick and impressive online, its aftermath is depressingly empty.

No comments: