A while back I was quoting an article about the literacy of the future, when coding will be essential for survival.
With our clients I have understood just how important it is to have them engage with Internet on a regular basis. This means that everyone involved with online should have tried, at least once, to go through the following easy actions:
- create an account on youtube
- upload a video on youtube
- resize a photograph and a video
- unsubscribe from a newsletter
- write a blog post
- change the font of one's blog title
- post a comment
- clear cache
- buy a URL, host it and activate it
These I believe would improve everyone's understanding of a few concepts like:
- the look and feel and intricacy of code and the length of time it takes to create and alter it
- the shortcomings and barriers to online sharing
- the legal aspects of online
- the concept of hosting, servers and the process of URL management
and most importantly, the responsibility and common sense it takes to create something and place it online for the whole world to see and for Google to index.
communication is essential to business making and it involves more than the ability to name your product, write a tag line or a press release. It's an intricate, rational and scalable effort and, let's face it, not anyone can do it.