communication is essential to business making and it involves more than the ability to name your product, write a tag line or a press release. It's an intricate, rational and scalable effort and, let's face it, not anyone can do it.

6/04/2010

The hardest year of my life

I turn 31 today and this past year has been, by far, the most difficult one I have ever had. I am a workaholic, so most of my joys and disappointments are generally related to my work. This past year has been a landmark for me professionally and as a human being.

A while back I said yes to a position I thought was the ultimate challenge in my career. I had never done management before and when I took it on - running a small agency I mean - I thought that it would be a piece of cake, especially since I seemed to be surrounded by a lot of people trying to help, and had a well of enthusiasm boiling inside of me, mainly generated by the novelty of the situation.

All this was happening in 2008, October, just as the financial crash came tumbling over Eastern Europe and made everything different. I was 30, I had never been in charge of anything other than my strategy presentations and my power point slides and my own flat and car. All of which I seemed to manage satisfactorily.

Being a manager has changed everything I though I knew and everything I though I knew about myself. I used to think that I was able to muster up endless resources of energy to finish up everything. I used to think that if something was not being done I could do it myself. I used to think that I could be very good at almost anything. Having to manage a team of people, revenue, salaries, clients, strategies sometimes gets pretty overwhelming and it took me a while to realize that some of the things I knew didn't really apply. The one constant realization is that dealing with failure is the most important skill one can develop in order to progress. Strangely enough though, I don't feel like writing I have learned a lot about teamwork and people skills and client management. I think all I knew about that before I became this new person largely still applies.

But I turn 31 today and if there is anything I have learned is that nothing works unless you keep it simple and have fun with it; and that the hardest thing to do is always, but always, remember that it will not work unless you stick by the two things said before.

So what I wish for myself this day is to always remember to not complicate things and have fun with whatever I am doing. Because only then, it all seems to work out fine.

18 comments:

corina said...

Happy birthday!

you wrote a truly inspiring thing, although you may not've wished it.

may this year turn out great :)

Titus Steel, nepotul lui John said...

pai atunci simplifica si distreaza-te. eventual in alta parte.

Anonymous said...

ridiculously true.
http://raresstoica.wordpress.com/

Blegoo said...

Well... what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger.
Management... it's a whole different story:
http://twitpic.com/1sikaf

Bucuresti servicii said...

ce nu te omoară, te face mai puternic.

Unknown said...

You're a real workaholic. I'm proud of all your personal accomplishments and professional achievements! We all must understand that http://custom-writing.services/ is the only one way to boost academic writings!

Anonymous said...

It is really nice blog that become inspiration to everyone.
Scope of Electrical Engineering Assignment Help
Capacitance online help

Unknown said...

Extreme Project Management Assignment Help
I need to support that you proceed with your incredible occupation, have a decent day.

Unknown said...

SPSS Stats Assignment Help
it is very nice post you shared with us.

Operations Management said...

Such a nice post, keep up the fantastic work
operations and supply chain management homework

Brain Michal said...

Get the dissertation writing service students look for these days with the prime focus being creating a well researched and lively content on any topic.
Structural Optimization Project Help

ExpoPrint said...

ExpoPrint Media va ofera o gama larga de produse publicitare de calitate precum:
Steaguri
Steaguri Vela
Steaguri Vela Publicitare
Steaguri Vela Publicitare Personalizate
Steaguri Lacrima
Steaguri Lacrima Personalizat
Steaguri Pana
Steaguri Pana Personalizat
Steaguri Rectangular Drept
Steaguri Dreptunghiular Personalizat
Stegulete personalizate birou
Outdoor banner telescopic
Pop-up Spider Personalizat
Pop-up Spider Curb Personalizat

ExpoPrint said...

Pop-up Spider Personalizat
Pop-up Business
Pop-up Spider Tower
Pop-up Mark Bric
Geanta Troller Pop-up Spider
Pop Up Textil Curb
Pop-up Textil Wave Curb
Pop-up textil Premium Curved
Pop-up Textil Wave Drept
Pop-up Textil Wave Screen
Pop-up Textil Wave Serpentine
Pop-up Textil Trapezoidal 3D
Stand textil Semicerc
Stand textil Curb
Arcada textila curbata
Arcada textila dreapta print textil
Stand textil S Wave
Totem Textil Personalizat Snake
Totem Textil Personalizat Wave
Monolith textil drept
Prisma textila
Stand suport pentru tableta cu print textil

ExpoPrint said...

Prisma textila
Totem publicitar din carton
Cub personalizat CO5 cu stativ
Pop-up Desk Curb
Pop-up Desk Oval Velcro Counter
Counter Desk Rotund cu arici
Counter Desk Textil Oval
Counter Desk Textil Drept
Counter Desk Textil Double
SnapUp MiniCounter MarkBric
Masa Sampling Ovala cu Arici Exclusive
Masa Sampling Promoter Desk Premium
Roll-up Banner
Roll-up Banner Dublu
Roll-up Textil Gigant
Roll-up Premium
Roll-up More Expo Mark Bric
X-Banner
X-Banner Premium
Stand Suport Tableta Print Textil
Stand Brosuri Premium
People Stopper Water Base Board
People Stopper Double A Board
Stalp De Ghidare Opritor
Accesorii Sisteme Expunere Pop-up Steaguri

Path said...

Nice post.Keep sharing. Thanks for sharing.

yasul.top said...

Spot on with this write-up, I truly believe that this website needs a lot more attention. I'll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the advice!

야한소설

ophunter.net said...

I have always disliked the idea because of the costs. Is usually able to answer customer questions.

립카페

massage.blue said...

I haven't checked in here for some time since I thought it was getting boring, but the last several posts are good quality so I guess I'll add you back to my everyday blog list. You deserve it my friend 🙂

외국인출장